Monday, March 3, 2008

Safari

I am home safely from my three day safari! It was such an incredible experience, I felt like I was in a movie the whole time. From the moment you begin to enter the outskirts of Africa all you see for miles and miles is rolling hills with picture-esq trees on top. Before we even arrived at the national park to begin the safari, we saw a giraffe on the side of the highway! The first park we went to on Friday evening was Lake Maranyara. At this park we saw a lot of giraffes, zebras, baboons, and few elephants in the middle of the road! Friday night we set up tents at a camp ground and had a blast camping (despite the lack of showers) The stars were my favorite part of camping, the night sky was so clear and lit up with stars! Because we are in the southern hemisphere it was a whole new set of conselations too!

Saturday morning we got up early to go to Ngorongnoro crater. The drive to Ngorongonoro was straight up a side of a mountain and then down into the crater. The crater was full of zebras and wildabeast everywhere you looked. We also saw one lion, a rhino and a baby rhino, a hippo out of water (very rare) and Egyptian Ibis (my favorite of course) Sunday we went to Terangarie National Park which is an elephant sanctuary. We saw so many elephants!! My favorite was a baby elephant we saw that our guide said was probably about two weeks old. It was the cutest animal on the planet. We also saw elephants fighting with their tusks, which was very exciting and a bit scary because of how loud they got. And an elephant charged our jeep! We got away in time, thank goodness! I took more than 200 pictures over the three days, here are a few of my favorites!!





Me with a Lion behind me!


The Lion napping


Some Egyptian Ibis and Zebera


African children playing amongst the wild animals, I was fascinated by this




Me in front of Ngorangoro Crater


Elephants fightingThe elephant that charged our jeep, I took a picture as I ducked into the car!Laughing Hyenas, they really did look like the Lion King cartoon characters






A lion, after he woke up from his nap Me with a big group of elephants under the tree behind me









The two week old baby elephant, walking behind its mom

I didnt have time to put up all the pictures I wanted to put up, but hopefully later this week I can finish!

No comments: